Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"What people are you?" Said the girl in 5/3

Yesterday I went to help Ms.Mee with her last two classes of the day, 5/3 and 5/7. The first number is the grade and the second number is the class they are in. I roam the school everyday and I spend a majority of the time with my homeroom class, but still, after six months of living and going to school people still don't know that I am an exchange student. One of the first questions that students ask me is, "What people are you?" in their heavy Thai accent and grammar to go with it. Everyone thinks I look so Thai and not Japanese-American. People have also told me that I look Chinese or Korean, on my part I am not too pleased. Many Thai people are surprised that I am Japanese but I come from America. They don't realize that America is full of many different people and cultures. I consider myself to be full American and full Japanese. I am fourth generation American, not first or second but fourth! In Japan I would not be considered Nihonjin but Nikkeijin instead. It is true, however, that in Hawaii I celebrate my heritage and keep many of my Japanese values.
I also find that being Asian in a country like Thailand and being an exchange student do not mix very well with me at all. People who are Falang or posses Falang features tend to receive more attention, respect, and in many ways are put into a status which is higher then the normal Thai person. While I blend in with the people and receive the same treatment as a Thai student, I am, however displeased by the thought that, based on the looks of a person, they are automatically greater than others. Looks mean so much more in Thailand than in America.

2 comments:

Nikki Muranaka said...

I'm assuming falang means something along the lines of caucasian/white/American, and so you are saying that these people receive more attention/respect than you since you appear to be Thai (or Asian). I understand why that might be frustrating, but think about how enriching your experience is since you more or less get to blend in. And you get to teach your fellow Thai students about being Japanese-American. I know when I was in Japan, a lot of my caucasian friends got attention because of how they looked, but they also sometimes got too much attention because people stared at them too(even in the onsen!)

colettemasu said...

I don't want to come off as complaining or anything. But it is apart of Thai culture and the importance of status and money here is alarming. Everyone knows how much everyone else makes. Its not a secret here like it is in America. Also, a majority of the people here are very poor, so by being with a caucasian, they gain security. Mostly it is the beautiful young Thai women with the 60-70 year old caucasian man. That frustrates me as well...I could go on and on about this but I can talk to you more about it when I see you in the summer.